Thursday, November 28, 2013

Look at the birds...

While music is my passion, the hobby that comes incidental to it is nature, especially bird watching. Even though I do not have the necessary gear of an Ornithologist, in my own way I appreciate the presence of birds and their chirping which is so refreshing each morning. As I walk into my work place, I get welcomed by the site of freshly watered lawns, the greenery all around the campus, beautiful flowers near the sidewalks and the sound of birds in the trees. These simple things eases me of all my anxieties and helps me look ahead at each brand new day with hope.

One of the things that amazed me when I moved here to the UAE was the sight of plenty of sparrows. Back home in India while the sparrows are a thing of the past, here in UAE we are glad to have them around. The buildings have sparrow friendly spaces for them to survive and multiply. Glad that these sparrows enjoy a safe haven here in a desert while India has turned it's back on these lovely little birds that have been so close to my heart.

Recently, I got to spot the first seagull for the winter while taking a walk down the Sharjah corniche. It was nice to know that summer was finally gone and we can look forward to the winter. Time has lapsed since then and rains in the UAE have ushered in the winter. The mornings and evenings are cool and pleasant, inviting me to take a walk along my favourite places - the corniche and the beach. We also get to see a lot of pigeons and turtle doves that drop in on the window sills and balcony ledges in the apartments. How can we forget the crows, the most common one back in India. We understand that crows were brought here to the Sharjah corniche area as the authorities felt the need for these scavenger birds. Most of the times I have observed that they had a piece of bread held between their beaks. 

It's hard to adequately describe the beauty of a winter morning here. I'm just enjoying it every day and every time it eventually turns out to be quiet moments of relishing God's creation leading onto a quiet conversation with God. I could feel God urging me to take a look at these birds to remind me of his words in Mathew 6:26, "Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" When we get to know God in a personal and intimate way, we can be encouraged to know that the God who feeds the birds is the God who cares for us, provides for us and sustains us. Psalms 48:14 says, " For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide even to the end."

Cheers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment