Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Life - So Fleeting And Yet So Eternal!

I've lost three people who were very close to me since the beginning of this year and what pains me even more is the fact that all three have died young. It was in the month of February that the Lord took away my cousin in a tragic road accident. He was the only son besides two daughters for my uncle and aunt. He left behind his wife and two small children. In the month of March it was my good friend Danny who died while on tour in Indonesia. He is survived by his wife and only daughter. And now, I just received yet another heart breaking news of the demise of a very dear niece who struggled with a rare stem cell disorder for the last 7 years.

I wonder why a person should die so young when she has a whole life ahead of her. I wonder what the purpose of letting someone live all these lovely days in the first place was?...only to be deleted from the rolls of life all of a sudden? Why should the parents of these young ones go through these moments of heartache after having had great dreams for their children?

The only thing I can say at this moment is that our life is not in our hands. We are here today and gone tomorrow. There is no guarantee of staying alive even when all things are going well. This life is so temporal. Nothing that we hold on to is permanent. Our life belongs to the One who gave it to us and only He is constant.

I'm now reflecting as to what my life is all about. What am I doing here on earth? Why was I born? Why have I survived so long? Will it all be over when I breathe last? Is there something beyond the here and now? If there was nothing beyond this life, then the whole point of living is meaningless.

How fleeting is this life and what do we really live for? The Psalmist David says, "Life is but a hand breadth". But yet there is a thread of hope that is woven throughout the Bible that when we come to terms with this very Source of life and place our life in His hands He promises eternal life - life beyond the here and now. This gives us the hope that we will meet them again in eternity.

This is the hope I would like to leave for the bereaved families of my dear ones who have moved on to the world beyond. Dear JP, Danny and Ann girl - you will always be missed :(

No comments:

Post a Comment